Friday, July 22, 2011

I'm not delivery! I'm DiJourno!!

In "Good Morning Viet Nam", at the very beginning when Eddie Garlick picks up Adrian Cronauer, he says "You'll get used to the heat, sir!" Adrian's response is "Hot? This isn't hot, this is the setting for London Broil!" Today, my friends, is one of those days. Its not much hotter than Phoenix or Death Valley, and there's no humidity, which is good. But at the same time, it seems more intense. Maybe because when you look at a globe, Kuwait is at roughly 27 degrees North Latitude, and Phoenix is at 33 degrees North Latitude. Therefore, while temperature is the same, I'm closer to the sun here in Kuwait. Think of it as a giant oven. The whole oven maybe 350 degrees, but if you put your pizza on the bottom rack, its gonna take longer to cook than on the top rack. Thusly, the 125 here feels more intense. I don't think anyone TRULY acclimates to these temperatures unless they live here, and even then i'm not sure. When you're cold, you can layer up. but when you're hot, you tend to run out of layers and then you're naked and still sweating your tail off. I'm starting to feel like a brisket. Low heat, long time in the smoker. I'm stuck in Kuwait for a few more days, marinating at 125. Throw on some BBQ sauce or a dry rub and I'm pretty sure I'd take first place at the Texas State Fair.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should have used a rump roast analogy. HA HA. Remember ... DRINK WATER!!!

    ReplyDelete